Biodiversity Sri Lanka (BSL) is a national platform entirely owned and driven by the private sector, established to promote strong engagement of the corporate sector in biodiversity and environmental conservation in Sri Lanka.
BSL actively promotes strong leadership of the private sector in the areas of biodiversity and environmental conservation, through the provision of technical support, sharing of information, knowledge and experience, the promotion of best practices through active learning and understanding mechanisms and by initiating and facilitating dialogue between State and civil society partners and the private sector, advocating biodiversity-friendly policies and positive instruments that campaign for the conservation of Sri Lanka’s fragile environment.
BSL’s overall mandate is to help raise awareness on biodiversity and sustainability issues amongst the Sri Lankan business community. Working to assist companies in understanding biodiversity and related issues, as well as to mainstream it into their core businesses, BSL has the ultimate aim of ensuring that a majority of Sri Lankan companies will eventually be on a sustainable ecological footing with vastly reduced negative impacts on our biodiversity.
A SHORT HISTORY
The Sri Lanka Business and Biodiversity Platform (SLBBP) was established in August 2012 as a programme of the Ceylon Chamber of Commerce (CCC), by its Initiating Partners – the CCC, Dilmah Conservation (DC) and the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN). October 2015 saw the legal establishment of the SLBBP as a Not-for-Profit Company Limited by Guarantee under the Sri Lanka Companies Act No. 07 of 2007, as well as the rebranding and relaunch of the platform by its current name – Biodiversity Sri Lanka (BSL).
OBJECTIVES OF BSL
All of BSL’s functions and activities are geared towards the achievement of the following:
- To add economic value to biodiversity conservation and integrate it into the core business of companies.
- To promote national cooperation and the exchange of ideas and information relating to biodiversity conservation.
- To strengthen and increase the involvement of the private sector in biodiversity conservation.
WHO WE ARE
We are our Members. Our Members decide on our destination and also draw up the map that we follow.
BSL membership is open to Sri Lanka-based businesses ranging from national to multinational companies as well as Small and Medium Enterprises (SME). Currently, 31 leading corporates – all with high standards of environmental custodianship have backed BSL by becoming its invited Patron Members. 32 General Members, together with the previous, make up the wide array of members that represent diverse industries in Sri Lanka, namely,
- The Banking and Finance sector
- The Construction and Engineering sector
- The Hospitality and Tourism sector
- IT and Communications services
- Manufacturing and Processing units
- The Plantations and Agribusiness sector.
The United Nations Development Programme’s Sri Lanka Office partners BSL on a technical level as its Associate Member. The latest category of membership opened to the private sector of Sri Lanka is the Tier II General Membership for SMEs.
BSL is advised by a 9-member Board of Directors who meet regularly. The Chairman of the Board is appointed by the Board for a period of two years. The members of the Board respectively represent the following:
- Initiating Partner – The Ceylon Chamber of Commerce
- Initiating Partner – Dilmah Conservation
- Initiating Partner – International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources
- Patron Members (2 Members)
- General Members (2 Members)
- Individual with proven expertise in business, sustainability and the environment
- Chief Executive Officer of the BSL Secretariat
THE BSL SECRETARIAT
The BSL Secretariat is housed within the premises of the CCC, at 50, Navam Mawatha, Colombo 02, Sri Lanka and is responsible for the execution of the decisions of the Board of Directors, as well as for the day-to-day operations with regard to the services BSL provides to its members and partners. The Secretariat is manned by a small but passionate group of individuals who work to serve BSL Members with utmost dedication.